Personal Travel Bag
Make your own personal bag to show where you've traveled!
- Place an individual state puzzle piece or a stencil on a piece of felt. Trace around the shape with a pencil. Cut out the state shape.
- Cover the back of the state shape with glue. Use a paintbrush to spread the glue over the entire shape, coating the edges of the felt.
- Place the state shape on the canvas travel bag. Press out any wrinkles in the felt with your fingers. Let the glue dry completely.
- Accent your bag using Elmer's 3D Washable Pant Pens™. Let the paint dry completely.
- Each time you take a trip, add a new state to your travel bag!
- Have students discuss the different states to which they have traveled. Encourage students to talk about different states in which they have lived, vacationed, and have family or relatives. Then, ask each student to find a state they mentioned on a classroom map.
- Discuss with students that each state in the United States has its own state motto, state bird, state flag, and state flower. Ask students to research their state. Have students draw a picture of their state's flag and write its motto underneath.
- Ask students to pick an out-of-state location to which they have recently traveled. Have students estimate the distance from their home to this location. Then, help students calculate the actual distance traveled. Compare the two distances.