TEACHERS BLOG

August

Comments (6) -

Tami Walker
Tami Walker United States
8/16/2013 6:24:57 AM #

Pencils! Oh my goodness!  Who would believe that a little piece of wood could cause an uproar in a professional setting?  The sound of a pencil sharpener can make 15 children look down at the point of their pencil and decide now is the moment to make it needle sharp. I have tried sharpening a gross sticking them in a box to trade, providing personal sharpeners, "hiring" a student sharpener, providing group sharpening time, a morning routine including pencil inspection, and many more ideas.  Still the sound of one sharpener entices my students to look at their pencil tip as dull no matter how sharp it may be. It must be the call of the wild pencil sharpener!  Regardless, a pencil sharpener that works is the treasure of any teacher!

Melissa
Melissa United States
8/16/2013 6:29:24 AM #

So true, Tami!  We were pretty amazed at the passion teachers shared about finding the perfect pencil sharpener.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us here!

Ben Anderson
Ben Anderson United States
8/16/2013 6:39:20 AM #

I learned last year not to buy the cheap ones at Walmart.  I had X-Acto before, and wish I would have spent the money to get a new one.

Melissa
Melissa United States
8/16/2013 7:24:07 AM #

You're not alone, Ben.  We heard that from many teachers.  And how can you beat a 10-year warranty?  Thanks for sharing!

Vickie B Miller
Vickie B Miller United States
8/16/2013 12:19:51 PM #

Thank you so much for sending me a XACTO sharpener!  You made my day or should say year!  WOOHOO!  I needed a new one!  XACTO has been the best sharpener for my classroom for years!

Tami H.
Tami H. United States
8/16/2013 7:07:46 PM #

OK, now I am really curious about the SchoolPro model with the 10 yr warranty! Is the cutting blade removable for cleaning off the waxy build up from the colored and the cheapies? I am going to go online and see if Lakeshore or Discount School Supply sells them. If, so I can order one through work. Thanks for the info.
P.S. Love your contests!

Country flag
biuquote
  • Preview

Tags

addressing tragedies in the classroom Advice amazing kids assessment autonomy back to school back-to-school BMI tests Broadcom MASTERS child poverty childhood obesity classroom environment classroom gifts classroom organization classroom pencil sharpeners classroom resolutions classroom supplies college and career ready Common Core Standards compassion discrepant events diversity Donor's Choose education reform educational reform Elmer Award Elmer's Early Learners Elmer's Presentation Ready Elmer's Products Elmer's School in the Spotlight Elmer's teacher tips Elmer's Teacher Toolkit Grants Elmer's Teachers Club Elmer's Teachers in the Spotlight end of the year experiential learning family engagement Fat Reports fine motor skills free teaching guide Funtastic Friday funtastic friday surprise Funtastiic Friday Surprise gluep hands-on learning happiness factor holiday gift-giving Hurricane Sandy ice-breakers inquiry based learning Inspiration Jon Stewart kindness maker movement mentors NextGen Science organization OSU parental involvement Parents pencil sharpeners planning play Popsicle Stick Bridge preschool development Presentation Ready private education rules Sandy Hook school culture school leadership school supply lists science fair service learning snow days social-emotional skills Society for Science & the Public Standardized Testing STEM Student in the spotlight survey teacher appreciation teacher burnout teacher evaluation teacher gift teacher gifts teacher grants teacher recognition teacher salaries teachers Teachers Helping Teachers teachers in the spotlight teaching children gratitude teaching science teaching strategies Thanksgiving The World of Glue Thought Leadership tolerance Valentine's Day Valentine's Day Boxes vocabulary