- Elmer's Foam Board;, White, 20" x 30" x 1/2"
- Elmer's Craft Bond; Extra Strength Glue Stick
- Elmer's Craft Bond; Tacky Glue
- Elmer's X-ACTO Gripster Knife (and new blade)
- Elmer's X-ACTO Self-Healing Cutting Mat
- (3) 12" x 12" scrapbook papers, Summer Travel Paper Pad û ; Company
- 12" x 12" cardstock, white
- 9 1/2" long die-cut, "Family Trip" ; Company
- Dimensional fish stickers Recollections;
- 42" length of 3/8" wide blue check ribbon
- 2 1/2 yds. length of 3/8" wide green check ribbon
- (3) 80 mm diameter clear ball ornaments Darice
- (2) 1/2" shells (for box closure)
- (2) 1" x 1" gold hinges with screws
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Acrylic ruler
- Small screwdriver
- Memorabilia from a vacation
Instructions for Vacation Keepsake Box
- Use pencil and acrylic ruler to draw four 4 1/2" x 10" rectangles on Elmer's Foam Board. Draw two 10" x 11" rectangles for base and top of box. An adult should use Elmer's
X-ACTO Knife (with new blade) and acrylic ruler on Elmer's Cutting Mat to cut Foam Board pieces. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blades often.) Set top aside.
- (Note: Ask an adult to help assemble the box.) Before gluing, hold up box sides to see how to connect them by aligning the foam edge of one Foam Board side against the paper edge of another. (Note that the foam edges of two opposite sides will be up against each of the other paper sides.) Working at one corner at a time, apply hot glue to foam edge and press into place, holding until set. Repeat with other corners.
- For keepsake box base, apply hot glue to foam edges on bottom of sides-unit, align and press onto base.
- For front and back, cut two 4 1/2" x 11" pieces from scrapbook paper. For sides cut two 4 1/2" x 10" pieces from a different pattern paper. Working on one side at a time, apply Elmer's Craft Bond Glue Stick to box and attach paper.
- Cut two 10" and two 11" lengths of blue check ribbon. Apply Glue Stick to top foam edge of box and attach lengths, overlapping at corners.
- For lid, cut 10" x 11" scrapbook paper. Apply Glue Stick to lid and attach paper. Cut two 10" and two 11"" lengths of green check ribbon. Apply Glue Stick to top surface of lid, along edge and attach lengths, overlapping at corners. Apply Glue Stick to foam edge of lid and attach 42 1/2" length of green check ribbon, wrapping around corners until ends meet. (Wait to place onto box.)
- Plan placement of domes onto lid and plan vacation memorabilia to fit inside each dome (but wait to fill domes.). Use pencil to lightly trace around each of the six domes onto the lid. Use X-ACTO Knife to carefully cut approx. 1/4" down into Foam Board, following pencil line circles. Check to be sure a dome fits into each cut circle, gently twisting and temporarily pressing into Foam Board. Remove domes.
- So that memorabilia will show up well, trace dome onto white cardstock, making six circles and cut out with scissors. Place circles on lid, aligning and trimming as needed to allow cut lines in Foam Board to show. Apply Glue Stick to white circles and attach to lid. Reposition memorabilia in each circle and hot glue. Gently press and twist domes back into place. Put lid on top of box.
- To attach hinges to back of keepsake box, measure and mark 2" in from top left and right sides on lid. Ask a helper to hold each hinge while you use a pencil to mark where the holes are. To make starter holes for screws, push a pushpin in and back out of each hole. Reposition hinge, aligning with holes. Just before inserting a screw, place drop of Elmer's Craft Bond Tacky Glue on the screw end, insert and gently tighten with screwdriver. Repeat with all screws and other hinge.
- Loop 6" length of green check ribbon and use glue gun to attach to middle of top edge of lid. Hot glue shell over ribbon ends. For clasp for ribbon loop, check position and use glue gun to attach other shell onto box front. Let dry. Attach "Family trip" sticker to front of Vacation Keepsake Box.
Return to Crafters' Projects