- X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife (and new blade)
- X-ACTO® Self-Healing Cutting Mat
- Painters® Medium Paint Markers: Yellow, Lime Green, Orange, Turquoise, Brown and Mixed Berry
- One pkg. (17.6 oz.) of white air hardening modeling clay - DAS® Prang®/Dixon®
- 3/8" wide ribbon: 48" length of green polka dot and eleven 4" lengths of various coordinated colors (to tie on wire branches)
- 26" white wire tree
- Misc.: rolling pin or 1" dowel, scissors, drinking straw, fine sand paper, ruler,
- Newspapers and scrap paper
Instructions for Painter's Eggs
- 1. Make Pattern: Using plain paper, trace and cut out egg pattern. Optional: Use 2 1/2" x 3 1/4" egg-shaped cookie cutter or clay cutter.
- Roll and Cut Clay: Using rolling pin or dowel and working on the Self-Healing Cutting Mat, roll clay into a 1/4" thick sheet.
- Cut Eggs: Place egg pattern on clay. Cut around egg pattern using X-ACTO® Knife. Make hole near top (narrow part) of egg by pressing drinking straw through clay and removing straw and small circle of clay. Let dry. Note: When clay eggs are partly dry, turn over eggs. Let dry completely (overnight).
- Paint Eggs: Sand edges of eggs to smooth and round off cut edges of eggs. On scrap paper trace pattern and plan design for each egg. If desired, incorporate words into designs. (Optional: Spray paint eggs white to seal and make eggs whiter, before using Painters® Markers.) Use Painters® to decorate both sides of eggs. Let dry.
- Thread Ribbon: Cut green polka dot ribbon into eight 6" lengths. Thread one end of ribbon through hole. Knot at top of egg and knot ribbon ends to hang.
- Tie Ribbon: Randomly tie 4" ribbon lengths into knots on tree branches. Diagonally trim as needed.
Return to Crafters' Projects