Botanical Plant Pokes
Dress up your home with this easy to make accent.
- Craft Bond™ Extra Strength Glue Stick
- Sticky Dot Stamper
- X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife
- X-ACTO® Rotary Paper Trimmer
- X-ACTO® Self-Healing Cutting Mat
- Quart Mason Jar (Ball®)
- Three large, 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" wood rectangle tags
- Two wood dowels, 3/16" diameter x 12" length
- Cardstock, 4" x 5" piece each: Gold, Tan (The Paper Company)
- Scrapbook paper, 4" x 5" piece celery green sponged print
- Scrapbook paper, 12" x 12" sheet one each: dark green ivy print, fern leaf print
- Metal words, (approx. 3/8" x 7/8"): Inspire, dream, imagine
- Leaf rub-on transfers (American Traditional Designs)
- DecoArt®: American® Acrylic Paint: Yellow Ochre, Dark Chocolate
- Weathered Wood® Crackling Medium Matte Acrylic Spray Sealer
- 14" length of 20 gauge silver wire
- 26" length of 3/8" wide variegated green ribbon
- Brown chalk and sponge
- craft snip
- sanding stick or emery board
- sponge brush
- household sponge
- Protect work area with newspapers. For jar, basecoat jar with Dark Chocolate. Let dry. Using damp sponge, apply a heavy coat of crackling medium onto jar. Let dry. Apply a coat of Yellow Ochre using long, even strokes. (Do not brush back and forth over crackling medium.) Let dry. Spray jar with sealer. Let dry.
- Use X-ACTO® Rotary Paper Trimmer to cut a 4" x 12" strip from dark green ivy print paper. Wrap and glue strip around jar. At back, piece with a 1" x 4" strip of paper. Similarly, cut a 3 5/8" x 12" strip fern leaf print paper, center and glue over first strip. Piece at back.
- For tags, apply glue to one side of one tag and press onto back of gold cardstock. Use X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife and X-ACTO® Self-Healing Cutting Mat to cut around tag. Let dry. Use sanding stick to sand edges of tag. Apply chalk to edges of tag. Following manufacturer's instructions, apply a leaf rub-on to front and back. Using Sticky Dot Stamper, attach metal word to front of tag. With point of scissors, insert a hole through paper at tag hole. Repeat for remaining two tags, using tan cardstock on one and celery green sponged print on the other.
- For gold tag, cut a 4" length of ribbon. Fold in half and thread folded loop through hole in tag from front to back. Place cut ends of ribbon through loop. Pull ends until loop is snug against tag. Using Sticky Dot Stamper, attach tag to front of jar. Wrap remaining ribbon around neck of jar and tie into a knot.
- For remaining tags, cut wire into two 7" lengths. Place a Sticky Dot 1" from end of one dowel. Press end of one wire length onto Sticky Dot and begin wrapping wire up around dowel, leaving a 1" tail of wire at top of dowel. Bend wire tail parallel with dowel, thread on one tag and bend end of wire into a loop to secure tag. Repeat for remaining tag.
AS APPEARED IN: Decorating Digest Craft & Home Magazine
DESIGNED BY: Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.