- Elmer's® Foam Board™, 20" x 30" x 3/16": (1) Tan
- Elmer's® Foam Board™, 20" x 30" x 3/16": (2) Black on Black
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Extra Strength Glue Stick
- X-ACTO® #1 Craft Knife with extra blades (Adult use only)
- Spray paint*: Copper Fusion, Gold Lumina, Black Chrome – Modern Metals by Design Master®
- Clock works / hands
- 20" square black frame (with hanging hardware)
- Copy paper
- Ruler or yardstick
- Cutting mat
- Hand drill
- Masking tape
Instructions for Foam Board™ Clock
1. Use Elmer's® X-ACTO® #1 Craft Knife (with new blade), cutting mat and yardstick to cut one Tan and two Black on Black 20" square Elmer's® Foam Board™ pieces. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blades often.)
2. For triangles, make a paper pattern by drawing an Isosceles triangle (two sides have the same length) with a base of 2 3/4" and a height of 6 1/2". With X-ACTO® Knife, ruler and cutting mat, cut eight triangles from Tan Foam Board™ and four from Black on Black Foam Board™.
3. In a well-ventilated area, cover work area with newspapers. Spray paint two light coat on tops and sides of four triangles with Copper Fusion; four with Gold Lumina; and four with Black Chrome. Let dry.
4. Turn over Tan Foam Board™. To find center, use yardstick and pencil to lightly draw diagonal line from corner to opposite corner. Repeat, drawing line connecting remaining corners. Refer to clock works instructions to determine hole diameter and use hand drill to make correct-size opening in back, center of Foam Board™.
5. Use Elmer's® CraftBond™ Extra Strength Glue Stick to glue together both black Foam Boards™. Similarly, find center of Foam Board™ and use X-ACTO® Knife to cut out rectangle (through both layers) in which clock works will fit. Align black and Tan Foam Board™ and insert clock works.
6. Refer to photo to arrange painted triangles on clock, being sure points of each triangle, point to center. If desired, move the "1, 4, 8, and 11" triangles slightly out of position for an abstract look. For added dimension, layer and glue scrap pieces of Foam Board™ behind the same triangles. (Note: Make sure there is enough clearance for clock hands.) Attach triangles with Glue Stick.
7. Assemble clock hands mechanism according to manufacturer's instructions. Place clock into frame and secure with strips of masking tape. Attach hanging hardware.
Designed By: Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
Return to Crafters' Projects